Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Goodbye, Tobias Wong..

Canadian-born, New York-based designer, Tobias Wong, was only 35
when he took his own life a couple of weeks ago... 






Born and raised in Vancouver, he studied art and design in Toronto before moving to New York in 1997...


He was widely recognized as an artist who helped bring forth what is today taken for granted in contemporary culture....he shone a "tongue-in-cheek" light on what we consider obvious...



Goodbye, Tobias  - your talent and sense of humour will be missed....

Above: 1. mirror puzzle  2. diamond ring  3. McDonald's (gold) spoon (became a staple among coke-heads) 4. smokers' mittens...
Photo credits: google everywhere....

7 comments:

  1. It makes me wonder....
    too sad.
    Always too sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo with you on that, Andrea....it makes me wonder too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of him, but it sad nonetheless.

    PussDaddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen him.
    Men commit suicide more than women.
    Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've certainly seen his work, without knowing it was his. Very sad at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. saddened & shocked by this news too~
    such a creative soul, yet tortured I assume...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew Tobias when he went to school in Toronto. He was such a shining light in the world, always smiling and full of positive energy. I believe this sites infor mation is inaccurate. From what I read, he had a sleeping disorder and there appears to be a question of wether he was truly awake when this happened of in a sleep walking event which was often the case. He would go out and do things for hours in his sleep. Just to say don't bet this was a suicide as the proof is still out. I loved him

    ReplyDelete